top of page

Navigating School Change For International Students

Anika, a student from India studying in Vancouver, receives an acceptance letter from a prestigious institution in Toronto on a brisk autumn morning. While she's thrilled about the acceptance, she's also anxious about the upcoming change. Many international students, like Anika, are unaware of the immigration implications of transferring schools. At Ansari Immigration, we've helped numerous students navigate such transitions. Our expertise as a top Vancouver Immigration consultant has been invaluable in alleviating the fears and worries that accompany such significant changes.

Why Change Schools?

Changing schools can be propelled by various factors - better academic opportunities, personal circumstances, or even a coveted job offer. However, the transition could potentially impact your immigration status and Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) eligibility. It’s imperative to traverse this path with meticulous guidance.

Transitioning Without Tainting Your Immigration Status

Informing IRCC:

It’s mandatory to inform the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) about your change in institution, as your study permit is linked to your initially designated learning institution.

How to change your DLI on IRCC.

Ensuring PGWP Eligibility:

Your new institution must be PGWP-eligible to retain your eligibility for post-graduation work opportunities. Our adept immigration consultants can guide you through this, ensuring your future in Canada remains bright.

Adjusting to a New School Environment

Transitioning to a new academic and social setting can be both exhilarating and nerve-wracking. It's akin to planting a tree in new soil, where adaptation and growth are paramount.

Understanding the Implications Immigration Concerns:

Q: What happens to my immigration status if I change schools?

A: Your Study Permit is associated with your designated learning institution (DLI). Changing your school necessitates informing IRCC (Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada) to ensure compliance with Canadian Immigration regulations.

Q: How does changing schools affect my Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) eligibility?

A: If you change schools, you must inform the immigration authorities and make sure your new school is eligible for PGWP. You also need to complete at least 8 months of full-time study in Canada, with at least 50% of your program done in class. You must apply for PGWP within 180 days after finishing your program and have a valid study permit or authorization. For more details, you can contact Ansari Immigration, a Vancouver immigration consultant service.

Ansari Immigration: Your Companion in Transition

Whether it’s about securing a new study permit, understanding the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), or navigating the Express Entry system post-graduation, our seasoned consultants are here to ensure a seamless transition.

Delve Deeper

We invite you to explore our treasure trove of blogs covering quintessential topics like student visas, study permits, healthcare, work permits, and more. Every nugget of information is a step towards making your Canadian dream a reality.

Engage with Our Community

We cherish the insights and queries of our readers. Share your opinions, ask questions or suggest topics for our future blogs by commenting below. Your interaction is a catalyst for a richly informed international student community.

Your aspirations in Canada are within reach with the right guidance. Contact Ansari Immigration for a consultation today and ensure your educational journey in Canada is smooth and compliant with immigration regulations.

2 views0 comments


bottom of page