top of page

Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) For Employers

Do you need an LMIA?

An LMIA, or Labour Market Impact Assessment, is a document that a Canadian employer may need to obtain before hiring a foreign worker. It's a form of verification from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) that hiring a foreign worker will have a positive or neutral effect on the Canadian labor market.

Your answer to both of the following questions should be "YES" before proceeding with an LMIA application

Is there a need for a temporary foreign worker

You might need a foreign worker if you can't find anyone in Canada with the right skills for the job. This is usually when the job is in a high-skill area or there's a shortage of available workers in your region.


Are No Canadians or Permanent Residents Available to Do the Job?

This means you've tried to find a Canadian or someone already in Canada to do the job but haven't had any luck. It's important to show you've made a real effort to hire locally before looking abroad.


Let's Get Started

Thanks for submitting!

Pick the right LMIA application that's right for you

High and low-wage positions

For jobs offering wages above or below the provincial/territorial median wage. Choose this if you're looking to fill a position with a wage that reflects the high or low end of the local pay scale.

Primary agriculture positions

Specifically designed for agricultural roles that involve planting, cultivating, and harvesting crops, raising livestock, and other farm duties. Ideal for employers in the agricultural sector.

Applications to support permanent residency

If you’re hiring a foreign worker who intends to become a permanent resident, this application streamlines the process. It’s a pathway for foreign workers seeking long-term employment and residency in Canada.

Global Talent Stream

Part of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, this is for hiring unique and specialized global talent to fill positions in industries experiencing labor shortages and requiring specific skill sets.

Caregiver positions

This application is for employers looking to hire foreign workers to provide care, in a private residence, to children, seniors, or individuals with medical needs.

Academics positions

Tailored for institutions hiring foreign academics, this helps fill teaching or research roles in Canadian post-secondary educational institutions or affiliated research institutions.

Hiring in the province of Quebec

Quebec has specific requirements and processes for hiring foreign workers. This application is for employers located in Quebec, reflecting the province’s unique labor and immigration policies.

Don't know where to start ?

Let us help you with the process

bottom of page